74 out of the 85 corpses of South Africans who
died in the 12 September building collapse at the
Synagogue church of all nations, have been flown
home to South Africa by officials of the country’s
on the night of Saturday, 15 November.
The bodies, which had been at the mortuaries of
the Mainland Hospital, Yaba, and Isolo General
Hospital, Isolo, under the care of the Lagos State
government, were flown out of Nigeria via
chartered planes around midnight on Saturday.
A minister in the Presidency, Mr. Jeff Radebe,
who led the country’s repatriation delegation
disclosed, while speaking at a press briefing in
Lagos, stated that the process of identifying all
the corpses from the Synagogue building collapse
had not been completed.
He said: “Of the 85 South Africans, we have
received 74 bodies from Lagos State government
and would be flown to South Africa at 10:50 pm
from the Murtala Muhammed International
Airport, MMIA, to arrive at the early hours of
Sunday (today). This would be through a
chartered plane.”
“And on arrival at the airport, short ceremony
would be organised for the victims and the bodies
would be handed over to their relatives. The
process of identifying all the 85 victims including
the three from Zimbabwe has not ended.”
According to him, those identified were through
DNA test, adding that, “The test would be
conducted to identify others who died in the
tragedy.”
Radebe said, “Of the 26 persons who were injured
and repatriated to South Africa, 20 have been
discharged after they have been certified okay by
our medical experts.”
No comments: